Callsign Vanity Callsign, Club Callsign, Radio Rules and Regulations, License Renewals and other related subjects.


Postby PHILCCOM on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:25 pm

(Message posted May 29, 2005)

Attn Foreign Hams!
Despite of having a reciprocal agreement from your country with the Govt. of the Philippines, please be advised that you still need to apply for a reciprocal permit from the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC). Said reciprocal permit is valid for one year and renewable. You need to specify the type of radio and serial number of the radio you will be using during your stay in the Philippines. Application forms must be properly notarized and you will need at least 3pcs. 1X1 pictures. Class will be determined from your home country amateur license. Operating radio transceiver without proper permit or license in the Philippines is punishable by law.


How does reciprocal work...?

Postby posted_ve6dbd on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:27 pm

Please explain in simple terms.

For example US and Canada have a reciprocal aggrement. I can cross the border into Montana and transmit freely using my Callsign with no fear of some authority confiscating my radio or arresting me.
How does it work in PI? Is it really reciprocal? How much is the permit?

I remember, Mang Armando got his Radio confiscated when he was in PI.

Reciprocal License Privileges

Postby posted_k6irf on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi !
The Reciprocal agreement is more about the Ham Radio license privileges. In the U.S. if a DU station visits, he/she can use his radio without a permit from the FCC. The FCC assumes that the ham will operate on the basis of the visitors license privileges in comparison to what is available in the U.S.

In the Philippines, the Ham Operator needs to get a reciprocal permit in order to validate his operating privileges. The NTC does not give the Ham an automatic permission to operate not without proof of the U.S. ham license/class. (As if they are so strict that the Bands are crystal clean)
According to Joey, the permit needs to be notarized, plus 3 1x1 picture and the serial number and make of radio must be indicated.
A real hussle for a visiting Ham, if this place is North Korea, I would understand. It's not!

The NTC got this all wrong. I think whoever made all this rules was thinking about all the other permits for commercial use. Obviously not a Ham. (Notary public fee =Money, 3 -1x1 picture =Money) Is there a Reciprocal Permit Fee??

In the Philippines the rules set by NTC for Ham Radio is a hindrance to the hobby. A lot of people wonder why there are many bootleggers in DU, I am not surprised.

Postby posted_du1dpe on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:29 pm

Additional requirements, letter of endorsement (or something) from your embassy and a local club membership.

I believe I got that list of requirement from PARA, seems not implemented as VE6JNT already got a DU reciprocal license w/o the said requirements.


Info on DU licensing....for hams other than locals

Postby posted_ve6dbd on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:30 pm

Here's an informative on.
It's about some non pinoys experiences and tips on how to get a permit.


Postby posted_ve6dbd on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:31 pm

More info regarding reciprocal agreements.

From my various readings of articles from RAC...I believe that it is only between US and Canada that has a very trusting permit required policy.
All the rest of the other countries, you need to get a easy or
difficult to get a permit depends upon the rules of the country.
So I understand now why the Philippines is on the same boat.

Here are some reading topics for us to see...


Where I saw Philippines mentioned as having a reciprocal agreement w/ Canada.

Operating in Mexico


Reciprical license

Postby posted_w9nfl on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:32 pm

I visited Cebu in June 2005. I had all the required papers BUT not the letter of good moral character. No one really knew what they wanted. Even the US state dept of Asain affairs.

When I arrived at the NTC office I was told I needed to go to the US consolite office at the waterfront hotel. This document came from Manila and cost $90.00

I had been in email contact with the NTC office in Cebu for months. Other than the $90 cost of the letter of good moral character (which the US Embassy charged) it was a very positive experience.


Good Moral Character

Postby posted_k6irf on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:33 pm

Hi Keith - Welcome to the forum. I was kind a surprised to know that they need a certificate of good moral character. Plus the cost of $90.00 that the U.S. embassy charged. I wonder if the NTC is aware that it cost that much to get a certificate. Then again if they would know, they might start giving options to foreign Hams, ( you are morally good but we need cash $40 only he he). Have a nice day to all! Mabuhay!

Postby AG6JC on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:05 am

Can we just take an exam and get an operating license in the Philippines instead of reciprocal operators permit that only valid for 1 year?

Do they still require the 5WPM Morse Code exam for higher class license?
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:11 pm


Postby k6bc on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:31 pm

I just came to this site to read about the reciprocal license as well. I have been using the reciprocal method now for 3 years in Cebu. My experience is not quite like W9NFL (Great Call by the way).

I came to the Islands in 2003. In 2005 I went to the NTC and started to get to know the local people there. I must say, compared to MANY other government agencies in the country, the NTC staff REALLY tries hard to assist and for once, I felt like someone there cared for the people they served.

Anyway, all this behind me, let me say I went to the consulate in Cebu and Got a strange, blank face looking back at my request. I then talked to the
U.S. consulate (Domingo), and he advised me to go home and create my own reference letter and return to the consulate and he would sign and seal it. This I did. It cost me (I believe $15.00). I was open and honest with the NTC people and my experience was quick. The NTC charged a very small fee (Php 100.00 or about $2.00) for the document. I have renewed it 2 times with friendly assistance and just the same small fee.

They DO ask a lot of seemingly silly questions here, but… Remember, WE are guests in this country. Furthermore, there is a lot of “war type action” going on and transmitters help the good and bad people… So, my thinking is, go with the flow and help the Philippines protect itself and you…

Now, further information (AS I UNDERSTAND it)… You MAY acquire a Philippine radio license BUT you must pass the code and written test elements. The NTC WILL wave the 1 year upgrade delay (confirm this FIRST).

WARNING: Have your radio equipment listed and noted by the NTC. There are MANY check points in random locations. I know the police can and will gladly remove non registered equipment from your possession. And, from those I have read this warning from, reacquisition of your equipment doesn’t happen.

Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:56 pm


Postby du1dpe on Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:52 am

A detailed reciprocal license requirements is posted at the PARA website
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:45 pm

Return to NTC, FCC, Amateur Radio Rules and Policies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest